“Al Sununu” (“Swallow”) Palestinian Children’s choirs
From 2010 until 2015, AER implemented a social and educational pilot program based on music: « Al Sununu » Palestinian children’s choirs in the Middle East.
In total, 1185 children participated in « Al Sununu » Project.
The AER designs its programs to become self-sustaining after a pilot phase.
– Unite the children with the same program using their traditional music to become one voice and thus creating solidarity
– Preserve the traditional musical heritage of Palestine
– Give access to basic music education with music theory and Arab music history lessons
– Enrich the cultural life of children and the community
– Train Palestinian teachers for self-sustainability of choirs
– Build bridges among children through music
One repertoire, one program and one method was followed by all participating teachers
Each student has benefited from 1h30 of lessons twice a week including chorus, music theory (solfege) and Arab music history.
Year 1: Initiation to traditional repertoire and to music theory
Years 2 and 3: Enrichment of repertoire and improvement of basis
Years 4 and 5: Continuation of curriculum, with introduction to polyphony and introduction to Palestinian and Arab music history
Each student received educational material prepared in partnership with Edward Said National Conservatory of Music.
– Textbook of music theory
– Books of songs with illustrations, especially created by AER for « Al Sununu » students
– Music history book with illustrations, especially created by AER for « Al Sununu » students
Music teachers were provided with CD of specially recorded instrumental arrangement of all the songs included in the program and have benefited from special training and workshops lead by choirmasters.
At the end of each year, students were awarded with a certificate of completion from AER in partnership with a local Conservatory.
Each year, selected students, after audition and by teachers’ recommendation, had the opportunity to enter the Conservatories AER worked in partnership with.